Annie Beck house “The Atom”
historic Bonnet house
built -in 1920
NEW MEMBERS are always
a priority with us
The Trust Welcomes Our New Board Members; Michael Gehron, Sara Ayers-Rigsby, Reed Tolber, and Deborah J Wax. In addition, we welcome returning board members Terry Bean and Susan Gillis.
Broward Trust for Historic Preservation is a privately funded, non-profit organization based in Broward County, Florida. The original Sailboat Bend Trust founded our member-supported organization. On May 26, 1995, the Trust filed for a domestic non-profit corporation with the State of Florida, and subsequently, Broward Trust for Historic Preservation was formed and is now twenty-seven years old.
Our focus has always been to keep track of historic buildings, neighborhoods, districts, and heritage. We accomplish this by identifying these historic resources through research, education, advocacy, and designations with owner approval.
In 2022, the Broward Trust for Historic Preservation decided to establish itself as the trust that advocates for other local historical organizations. Our goal is to lead and support these organizations that otherwise may not be heard.
Alfred Beck, Fort Lauderdale’s first pharmacist, brought his new bride Annie to town in 1916. Together they built this classic bungalow home out of southern pine which they named the “ATOM”. Annie immediately began to spearhead efforts to establish All Saint’s Episcopal Church at its original location at Southeast First Street and First Avenue. In the 68 years she lived in Fort Lauderdale, Anibeck, as she was fondly known, helped found the Fort Lauderdale Garden Club, the city’s first, the 1919 Study Club, a literary group, as well as the Fort Lauderdale Historical Society. “I’ve liked every day here in Fort Lauderdale,” Beck said in a 1973 interview. When she died in 1985 at age 98, the mayor at the time, Robert Dressler, called Beck “one of the grand ladies of Fort Lauderdale history.”
The home which now resides at 1329 NE 7th Ave, Fort Lauderdale is now owned by Broward Trust for Historic Preservation, and leased to the City of Fort Lauderdale which assists in its preservation efforts.